I will purchase one tree seedling from istutapuita.fi. What happens next?
– You will receive a diploma of the planting to your email address. The diploma will thank you for your action and indicate the variety of the planted tree and the location of planting.
Why is planting trees so important to the climate? Finland is already full of forests.
– In Finland, forestry will use more than 80 million cubic meters of wood in 2020. The state of our forests today, in terms of carbon sinks, is not good at all. Increased logging puts pressure on the swift circular economy of a tree, because as it reaches the ideal age in terms of carbon sinks, it is cut down to meet the demands of our forest industry.
What are the tangible benefits to the climate of planting trees?
– As a tree grows, it absorbs carbon dioxide to its biomass. Changes in land use and the consumption of fossil fuels are largely the causes that have dramatically altered the content of CO2 in our atmosphere, intensifying the greenhouse effect. If the increase in carbon dioxide is not restrained, the global average temperatures will rise. Even the change of a couple of degrees may have devastating consequences. To the best of our knowledge, increasing the number of trees is the best way to mitigate global warming.
Which standards can prove that x amount of carbon can be compensated through istutapuita.fi?
– As of yet, there are no generally accepted industry standards or certifications. However, on average, one tree planted absorbs one tonne of carbon dioxide over its life cycle.
Afforestation of wetlands promotes absorbing carbon in other ways as well: if old peatlands are not afforested, they will continuously release carbon dioxide into the atmosphere (https://istutapuita.fi/en/project-karhusuo/). More detailed research on the subject is not yet available, as it was only recently discovered that this subject is to be paid more attention to.
What are the average annual CO2 emissions of a Finn?
– A Finns average carbon dioxide emissions are about 10,300kg. Housing accounts for an average of 33%, food for 20%, transport and tourism for 22% and other consumption for 25%..
Why do you plant trees specifically on old peatlands?
– By planting trees in an old peatland that has been retired from peat production, we get the best benefit in terms of the climate. Old peatlands continuously release carbon dioxide and methane into the atmosphere. By fertilizing the area in question with wood ash, ground vegetation starts to grow on the peat layer which helps planted trees to thrive. The release of methane decreases and the trees begin to absorb carbon dioxide. As the trees grow, they not only absorb the emissions of the peatland, but above all the carbon dioxide that already exists in the atmosphere. The main benefit of the afforestation of peatlands is summarized in the following idea; In forestry, new trees are planted in place of cut down trees, while trees planted on a peatland do not replace old trees but establish an entirely new forest
When are the seedlings planted on the peatlands?
– The seedlings are planted in the months of May and June and later, as well, during the summer / early autumn, if necessary.
What variety of trees are planted on the peatlands?
– Planted trees are essentially pine. Some of the peatlands may also be well suited for growing downy birch (Betula pubescens).
How do seedlings prosper on the peatlands?
– The peatland is at its best an excellent substrate. Residual peat is high in nitrogen but low in nutrients. Ash fertilization fixes the shortage of potassium and phosphorus, turning the soil rich in nutrients. Pine is the most commonly used variety in Finland when it comes to the afforestation of peatlands.
What happens to trees in 80 years?
– The purpose of a reforested peatland is to serve as a thriving forest, a carbon sink. Nonetheless, we closely follow the industry research and will act accordingly in the future. It is possible that the future construction industry is focused on wood structures, where the trees continue their life as carbon sinks, for example in houses. Any further use of the trees should support carbon sinks and any revenue generated should be steered towards new afforestation projects.
Why does istutapuita.fi business exist?
– Istutapuita.fi was established to help people make an easy and significant contribution to mitigating climate change. Our goal is to raise awareness of influencing opportunities and help people to realize the current state of our climate. We want to step up the debate and inspire people to take action to improve the well-being of our climate.
Message us via this form and we'll get back to you as soon as possible. You can also call Timo on +358 40 485 6607.